A Little Experiment

You know sometimes a little inspiration goes really well! Yesterday morning, on my way to work I had a bit of time to kill, so walking around Kilkenny I stopped at a restaurant and took a look at the menu. It was one of the starters that caught my eye, white pudding scotch eggs, yes that’s right, white pudding! I couldn’t stop thinking for a full 24 hours about how they would work, what herbs to put through the white pudding as they are well spiced as it is. So after humming and harring I decided to go simple, the other thing was that I was trying to think of a way to loosen the pudding as it can be quite dry, again it wasn’t that difficult.

When I got back from work last night, I asked him if he would try them if I made them, his eyes lit up, yes of course was the answer I received 😊

So I couldn’t help myself, I went out and bought what was needed, I got extra eggs as I had a feeling I’d go through a few until I got it right and I was correct. So a Saturday morning and the house is empty I cracked (pun intended 😁) on. I ended up going through a few extra eggs than I thought, trying to peel them at soft boil, I know it’s possible, it just wasn’t working on the day! So hard boiled it was.



Ingredients 


4 eggs

1 white pudding 

Basil

Parsley

Plain flour 

Breadcrumbs 

Salt and pepper



Method


Boil 2 of your eggs, for 5 minutes, then plunge them into ice cold water to stop the cooking process in its tracks. 

Put into a food processor and blend until it becomes a grainy mixture. Whisk an egg and slowly add this to the mixture whilst it is blending. Blend until smooth and not too sticky, as a warning it will be slightly sticky.

Dust a board with plain flour and turn the mixture out onto the flour. Knead this dusting with flour until the stickiness has gone, and you can easily roll into two balls.

Turn on the deep fat fryer and preheat at 180 Degrees Celsius. You can shallow fry them, I order to deep fry it gives them an even, crispy coating.

Crack an egg into a shallow bowl and whisk.

Add your breadcrumbs to another shallow bowl or plate.

Now peel the eggs

Take your balls of meat and squash them into a thick patty, take each egg and place them onto the patties, then mould the meat around the eggs pushing the meat together and moulding till it covers the whole egg with no cracks!

The fryer should have heated to temperature at this point. Dip your balls into the egg, covering completely and then do the same with the bread crumbs.  

Put them into the basket and lower into the hot oil, fry for just under 5 minutes or until golden brown.

Take out and serve or put them into the fridge to have cold, they are yummy either way. The other half certainly thinks so!!!



Comments